Hi there,

I've been happily using Cygwin/X for a couple of years on 2 or 3 different PC systems primarily as a display server for some Big Iron in our server room.

I've recently installed Cygwin/X on my new whizz-bang desktop machine and I'm having a problem. When I run startxwin.sh (or startxwin.bat for that matter) everything appears to come up normally, with the exception of anything in the window itself.

For example, the xterm in the default startup script stays as a white window with no prompt or text, and the mouse cursor is 'X' when it is over this window. In this case, the window titlebar changes to '~' which implies that bash has started to run OK (indeed, Windows task manager shows bash.exe exists) but I don't know why it's not painting properly or handling events.

As a second example, xlogo again creates a white window with no contents. Again, the mouse cursor is 'X' when I hover on the window.

Launching the client program on the remote solaris box with approriate DISPLAY set has the same result; a window appears but it stays empty.

Nothing I can get from XWin.log but I've attached it regardless.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers
Gareth

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-12

Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1600 height: 1170 depth: 32
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared
memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type "4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 800 585
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT message,
exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

winMultiWindowXMsgProcIOErrorHandler!

winInitMultiWindowXMsgProc - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress