Ok... you got me...

One problem with cyberspace communication is how two (or more) people can be
talking about the same topic but are on different pages (metaphorically, of
course)... :)

What I was talking about is packages that you download and build yourself,
e.g. GNU regex, GNU libtool, GDBM, OpenLDAP: all of these packages configure
with a default prefix of /usr/local.

I was not talking about pre-packaged Cygwin binaries. And I still claim that
even after you install Cygwin packages, they will operate if you relocate
the libraries in /usr/lib. This is because the Cygwin binaries depend on
DLLs accessible via the PATH, which are NOT relocated from /usr/bin.

Jon