Under Linux I do:

  include <math.h>
  reciprocal=NAN;

When I try to compile this under cygwin, gcc complains that NAN is undefined.

Under cygwin, "man nan", tells me about a function named nan(), also using math.h.
When I try to use it, gcc complains about an implicit declaration of nan().

I am attaching relevant portions of the Makefile I am using to the end of this
message.

Help would be appreciated.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

libDir=../Run
jdk=/cygdrive/c/jdk1.3.1_01/

all:                                                                    \
        $(libDir)/sine.dll                                              \
        $(libDir)/regret.dll                                            \
        $(libDir)/quad.dll                                              \
        $(libDir)/arith.dll                                             \
        $(libDir)/fast.dll                                              \
        $(libDir)/slow.dll                                              \

GDBFLAGS = -g -ggdb
CPPFLAGS= -m486  -Wall -Wpointer-arith  -pipe                           \
        -I/usr/X11R6/include                                            \
        -g                                                              \
        -O                                                              \
        -Wbad-function-cast                                             \
        -Wstrict-prototypes                                             \
        -Wmissing-prototypes                                            \
        -Wmissing-declarations                                          \
        -Werror                                                         \
        -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE                                                \
        -Wnested-externs                                                \
        -I $(jdk)/include                                               \
        -I $(jdk)/include/linux                                         \
        -I $(jdk)/include/genunix                                       \
        -I /usr/include/g++-3                                           \
         $(GDBFLAGS)                                                    \

$(libDir)/%.dll: %.cpp Makefile
        gcc                                     \
        $(CPPFLAGS)                             \
        -mno-cygwin                             \
        -I$(jdk)/include                        \
        -I$(jdk)/include/win32                  \
        -Wl,--add-stdcall-alias                 \
        -shared                                 \
        -o\
        $@ $<