On 11/12/2009 10:59 a.m., Pedro DeKeratry wrote:
I experience very slow GCC compilation times on win7 64bit computer as
compared to a 3 yr old computer running winXP. The win7 machine has
has a much newer/faster CPU and 2x the memory as the XP machine. The
slowness exists on Cygwin versions 1.5.x and 1.7. I haven't figured
out what the cause is much less a fix.

If your new machine is multi-core you might see some benefit if you use the parallel make option with your makefiles - this will run multiple compile steps at the same time, achieving speedup on multi-core systems.

On GNU make, for example, you can run 4 jobs at once with:

make -j 4

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock