Ok - so I did a re-install and mount -p is back. But a setup "bug" (probably
not setup.exe's fault) was discovered in the process.

I first tried a re-install and once again was told cygwin1.dll could not be
replaced because of a running process (thought I had killed everything). Rather
than quit and start over, I pressed the continue button and re-booted the
laptop when the re-install completed. mount -p was STILL broken, so something
sure was amiss. Turned out I had cygserver and postgres via cygserver running.
(Forgot about them). These services start automatically (along with sshd) when
Windows starts up. *ALSO* I have an XWin Server in the Startup folder of the
Windows Start Menu. So apparently, one of these services is starting up
*BEFORE* the cygwin1.dll can be replaced by Windows at startup. Weird. My
laptop has an encrypted hard disk using SafeGuard. That might have something to
do with it. Anyhow, it's not a bug I have time to help chase down (unless
someone else wants to take the lead on it - I'll be happy to help in that
case). Otherwise let this be a lesson to ALL - setup "best practice" is to shut
down ALL cygwin processes and services BEFORE running setup.exe. Otherwise ...
"your mileage may vary" ...