On 17.09.2010 20:12, Daniel Barclay wrote:
Does anyone recall a mention of what in CygWin (or possibly Emacs) creates
files with a simple name of "NUL"?

I also use native Emacs and after some operation I got file with name NUL.

I have a lot NUL files in many dirs, which can be removed only from Cygwin:

  $ rm NUL

I don't fully  debug but think this come from 'null-device' variable
(which has 'NUL' value by default).

To friend native GNU Emacs with Cygwin (and stop creating NUL) I use:

(when (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  (setq shell-file-name "bash")
;; Workaround for Cygwin shell, when set 'CYGWIN=noglob'. By default 'shell-quote-argument'
  ;; quoted by double '\' chars this cause failure.
  (defun shell-quote-argument (argument)
    (concat "'" argument "'")
    )
  ;; Workaround for Cygwin when 'shell-file-name' is 'bash'.
  (setq null-device "/dev/null")
  )

--
Happy hacking!