I have cygwin installed now, this is a follow up report, as promised, as to the mess I
found in the registry.

There are differneces I find in the registry for
cygwin (the one that worked after I deleted cygwin1)
and
cygwin1 (the one that was cygwin I had to rename cygwin1)
I'm only showing registry settings that are different.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofrware\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  <No values set>

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofrware\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin1\mounts v2
   cygdrive   REG_DWORD   0x00000022 (34)
   cygdrive prefix  REG_SZ   /cygdrive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
   Subkeys /  /usr/bin   /usr/lib   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
  all native set to correct install paths off of c:\cygwin.  No other subkeys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin1\mounts v2
   Subkeys /  /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
  all native set to correct install paths off of e:\cygwin
   Subkeys /bin /etc /ssh /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/etc /var
  all set incorrectly off of:
   e:\Program Files\NetworkSimplicity\

Those seem to be the most relevant changes that effected why it would not install
correctly before.

Regards,

Jim Langston