It seems that my latest frenzy of setups (the ones that first screwed
up, then failed to fix, then at last fixed, coreutils) had some nasty
side effects. The first I see is that USER is no longer defined in the
environment, at least for bash in mintty. Quite likely one of the bash
config files in /etc that is supposed to set it up (at least I assume
supposed to!), has been damaged, but has not been rebuilt because setup
considers it a "customized" file.

Note that I am 100% sure USER *was* set about 1 week ago, since an app
that worked then, now crashes because getenv("USER") return NULL.

Hence, 2 (related) questions:

1. Is USER supposed to be set?
2. If yes, by what script or process?

Tia