On 01/03/2012, at 12:25 AM, Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoeni...@mhoenicka.de>
wrote:

> Leo <leosli...@letterboxes.org> was heard to say:
>
>> It did work before, so I would like to revert to an older version of the
>> cygwin1.dll. How can I do this? And is there a way to revert the other
>> packages so that they are compatible with the older cygwin1 all?
>>
>> Many thanks. Any help is appreciated. It is very annoying to have no bash in
>> NTemacs!
>>

> Please be aware that by sticking to an older version of the cygwin1 dll you
> may cut yourself off of any improvements that Cygwin may provide in the
> future.

Thanks for your details.

Good point. That's what worries me too.

> If the regression that you reported is not caused by a recently introduced
> bug but by an improvement of Cygwin's innards, it probably won't be fixed or
> reverted.

As said in the original post, it did work before. So I really don't have a clue
what broke it in bash 4/cygwin 1.7.10

> You should reconsider your choice of NTEmacs over Cygwin Emacs before doing
> this. I have used both editors in the past, and the only undisputable
> advantage of NTEmacs is its support of file drag+drop.

Well, drag+drop plus much easier install: For NTemacs I just copy the binaries
to a new machine, hv a working GUI emacs straight away and can add the cygwin
stuff only when needed, but for a GUI emacs in cygwin i need to install cygwin,
X/cygwin, configure X, run an external bash and then kick off emacs - just in
order to use a bash inside emacs.

Cheers, Leo