I am using an up to date Windows 7 system with cygwin 64 bit installed. I've
installed via the cygwin interface all current cygwin packages except mail and
audio. cygwin\bin is added to the Windows environment. OpenMPI is added to PATH
(cygwin64\bin) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (cygwin64\lib).

Problem:
After installing the cygwin x86_64 OpenMPI updates i.e. version 1.7.4-1, both
mpirun and mpiexec were broke (after typing the commands and waiting a couple
of seconds no errors or prompts appeared, it just passed on to the command
prompt. Before the upgrade and after the repair both commands give feedback
citing that there is nothing to be executed). A Gromacs installation using
OpenMPI also was broke.

Solution: revert to cygwin x86_64 OpnMPI version 1.7.1-2. All of the above
problems were solved.

I am not a programmer, so I could unfortunately not narrow down the cause of
this behavior.

Best regards,
Chris Wagner