On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Warren Young <w...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2014, at 9:37 PM, Alexey Pavlov <alex...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also we switch to use real /usr folder and just create virtual mount for
>> /bin folder that needed for some programs.
>
> You’re fighting the prevailing trend in Unix/Linux OS design by doing that.
> Solaris, Red Hat, and probably others also alias /usr/bin and /bin, and
> /usr/lib and /lib.  It isn’t some weird Cygwin-only practice.

We're sticking as close as we can to real Linux.

From my Arch Linux installation:
ls -l /
drwxr-xr-x  13 root root   4096 Oct 31 12:12 usr
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      7 Oct 25 19:41 bin -> usr/bin

.. so Linux has a real /usr folder like we do, and they use symlinks
for /bin and /lib. Since symlinks on Windows aren't always possible we
opted to use mounts instead.