>On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:26 PM, Ken Brown <kbr...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>[Please don't top post.]

>On 1/19/2016 6:34 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that
>> old link
>> "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";.

>That message doesn't even mention emacs.  That's why I said in my first
>reply to you that I couldn't make much sense of what you wrote.

>> (1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link
>> "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";? According to
>> Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I
>> would love to have a fix.

>I still don't know the connection between that message and emacs.  Could
>you say exactly what problem you're having?

>> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these
>> environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type
>> in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless >of
>> who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every
>> account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment
>> variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash >prompt but this
>> is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs
>> file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment
>> variables. We will really missing feature of native >emacs.

>The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
>feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
>file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.

>Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
>environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
>your .bashrc.

>Ken
Ken:
Thanks for being persistent! I'm sorry for the confusion. I had to google
search "top post". I hope I'm doing it right now.

When I run the bash prompt directly by clicking on the Cygwin icon, everything
is fine.
When I run Cygwin or native emacs on win 8 and use the emacs compile or async
shell command to run a bash command everything is fine.
When I run Cygwin emacs on win 10 and use the compile or asynch shell command
run bash command everything is fine.
However, when I run native (FSF/windows) emacs on win10 and use the compile or
asynch shell command to run bash commands that contain a pipe ("|") or child
($(bashcommand)), I get very similar symptoms (maybe the same) as
"https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";. For example  perl -e
'print "hello"' is fine. However, echo $(perl -e 'print "hello"') causes a
stack trace like "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";
After reading Corinna's comments  I'm thinking this is a Cygwin/bash problem.
What do you think?
Let me know if I need to send you my stackdump file.
Thank you!
Siegfried