Am 04.03.2020 um 04:52 schrieb L A Walsh:
On 2020/03/03 15:45, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
Am 04.03.2020 um 00:25 schrieb L A Walsh:
On 2020/02/28 04:38, Fergus Daly wrote:
I am almost certain that the command
$ rename "anything" "AnyThing" *.ext
would alter the string from lc to uc as shown, anywhere it occurred in any filename in *.ext in the current directory.
isn't that they same as "mv anything.xxx Anything.xxx" ?

No.  For three reasons:

*) it's .ext, not .xxx :-)
*) it will find and replace 'anything' _anywhere_in_ the filename, not just in the basename.
I'm confused about your terminology.

The terminology is fine, but the statement isn't quite. That had better have read:

>> it will find and replace 'anything' _anywhere_in_ the filename, not
>> just if that's the entire basename.

You said all of the filenames must match '*.ext'.

No, I didn't. I said that rename will work on all files in the cwd matching *.ext. Files in the cwd not matching *.ext will be left alone.