On 3/11/2020 12:30 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2020-03-11 00:13, Eliot Moss wrote:
On 3/11/2020 1:31 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:

There are gcc bugzilla comments about requiring gcc to be built with glibc
libatomic to guarantee indirect inline functions support, and presumably glibc
detecting gcc indirect inline functions support, and not supporting other libc
variants including musl, newlib, uclibc, etc.

The problem is that newlib is BSD licensed and glibc is GPL and you can not
contaminate newlib by looking at or including GPL code, although you may be able
to do so in the Cygwin winsup library.

Hmm.  Well, I just install standard stuff on Linux and then on Cygwin, and
I see different behavior.  I don't know how licenses come into that (I'm not
saying they don't, only that it exceeds my knowledge).  Are you saying that
Cygwin's build of gcc is intended to work with other libraries in addition
to glibc, and hence Cygwin's gcc might have been built without some stuff
to avoid license contamination?

It is probably not worth my while to do my own build of gcc just for this.
I can just write my own wrapper for the __sync function.  But it seemed
wrong / broken to me that the __atomic builtin did not do what was expected.

(Brian, are you the maintainer, or is there someone else with whom the
conversation would be taken up?

Regards - Eliot