On 27/08/2020 13:48, Michael Wild via Cygwin wrote:
Hmm, OK, changing script.cc to not strip out CYGWIN is trivial. But the
harder part is that main.cc uses ShellExecuteEx() with
SHELLEXECUTEINFO.verb set to "runas" in order to re-run setup elevated.
This resets all environment variables back to default. In my instance I can
circumvent this by passing --no-admin and running from an elevated shell
where CYGWIN is set already. And indeed, this works and resolves my Docker
problem. I attached this fix as a patch. But on the other hand, I find this
behavior to be a bit confusing. However, I don't see an easy way of
resolving the "runas" issue, because it is by design. An option would be
that the calling process passes the CYGWIN variable as a command line
argument to the elevated process. But that is also ugly. What do you guys
think?

I think an option which explicitly specifies the symlink style would be best (rather than option to specify the CYGWIN env var).

You'd also need to teach setup to create syminks in these different ways, and set the CYGWIN env var for scripts appropriately.