On 12/19/2020 7:16 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
Am 20.12.2020 um 00:34 schrieb Jason McGee via Cygwin:
I confirmed there is not a problem with my code by comparing Cygwin against Gawk for Windows.

Your presentation of the problem is quite unclear, but the root cause is almost certainly not in the code, but in the data.

You're bound to be feeding Windows text files to a Unix tool.  You need to reformat the file to Unix format.