wow; thanks for quick response. I tried running your first command but got the message:

awk: fatal: cannot open file ' /etc/setup/installed.db' for reading (No such file or directory)

The file seems to be there and I checked my input so I do not know what when wrong. Any suggestions?

Lou

On 1/3/2021 12:28 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2021-01-03 09:44, Lou Umscheid via Cygwin wrote:
I would like to install Fortran on newly installed Cygwin64 on my new LG laptop. I did this 9+ years ago for Cygwin32 on my Dell T1600 which is now fading. The process 9 years ago was long and hard over several weeks with many fallbacks and redo's. I am competent in Fortran programming but have only a minimum knowledge of Linux/Unix. Can anyone point me to a guide (I searched but could not find any) to installing Fortran, including which files to download, PATH, alias changes, etc. I know it is a lot to ask, but ANY help would be appreciated.

To get a list of manually picked and installed packages in your current Cygwin installation (excluding library packages except if they are devel or doc packages) run the following command against your current installation:

$ awk '$3 && ($1 !~ /^lib/ || $1 ~ /-(devel|doc)/) {print $1}' \
    /etc/setup/installed.db | tee cygwin-packages-picked.txt

* transfer the file cygwin-packages-picked.txt to your new system e.g. your Windows account Downloads folder on your new system, * download https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe to e.g. your Windows account Downloads folder on your new system, * run setup-x86_64 on your new system with no selections to install a basic Cygwin installation for you, then
* start a Cygwin shell in a terminal session, and
* rerun the Cygwin setup program with e.g.:

$ cygstart /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/setup-x86_64 \
-P "`cat /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/cygwin-packages-picked.txt`"

to start installing the manually picked packages you had on your old system (dependencies will be automatically pulled in): * you *MUST* exit your Cygwin shell and terminal, and ensure that you have no other Cygwin processes still running, before allowing the Cygwin setup program to proceed; and * wait patiently for all the package downloads, installations, and post-install scripts to run to completion, before trying to do anything more under Cygwin on your new system.