Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> I can confirm this.  Running the tar command under gdb shows a problem
> at gnu/fchmodat.c:94:
>
> 94            if (S_ISLNK (st.st_mode))

That should be foolproof, but apparently isn't.

> Here st is a stat structure for directory/1, so S_ISLNK() should be
> true.  It is indeed true on 64-bit Cygwin but not on 32-bit Cygwin.
> Someone needs to look more closely and find out why this happened.
> I'll try to do it tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

I might remember wrongly, but I don't think that code was changed
between the two versions.  What's the call stack at that point?

Unfortunately the handful of commits that might change the behaviour for
this situation elsewhere are knotty, so bisecting will not really
help much I'm afraid.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: