On 2021/04/01 13:35, Mark Aitchison wrote:
1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode? The present need is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ) that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII equivalents,
---
   Hmm...have you tried installing from cpan?

I just tried it and it seems to work.

 cpan -i Text::Unidecode;
 > cat /tmp/in

ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ

 cat /tmp/in| perl -e '
use Text::Unidecode;
while (<>) {
print unidecode($_);
}'

CCCCcccGGGGggggEIIIIOOOO

---
I.e. it stripped off all the accent marks.  Is that what you
want?

   (it spewed some warnings, but seemed to test out ok, so tried it).
put your characters in a file "/tmp/in", (i.e.
 cat /tmp/in
-- I know, not very creative,
but then:
cat /tmp/in| tperl
use Text::Unidecode;
while (<>) {
print unidecode($_);
}'

CCCCcccGGGGggggEIIIIOOOO)

   Where are you seeing those characters and how do you know they are not
already in unicode?  I.e. That I'm seeing characters "CcGgEIO" but with
accents -- indicates they area already in Unicode.

What are you wanting to do.. just convert them to the ASCII characters
with the accent marks stripped off?

but I'd like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any dead-ends as far as being able to run under cygwin is concerned.

2. I see some talk of Internationalization in Chapter 2 of "Setting up Cygwin", but cannot see anything relating to perl modules, and I don't see any easy way to search many months of the mailing list for a keyword... is there any information I should know about?

Thanks,

Mark Aitchison