On 09/04/2021 16:12, Thomas Wolff wrote:

See [1] et seq. for a discussion of what I think is the same problem, where the Cygwin X server doesn't notify X windows of a focus loss when the focus moves to a non-X window.
Hmm, when I start xterm -bc and click out of xterm (e.g. mintty or Thunderbird), the cursor stops blinking for me.

If you read [1], you'll see that mentions this behaviour is only seen with some X clients, and xterm is explicitly mentioned as one for which it works correctly.

(I think perhaps the problem is with X clients which implement the WM_TAKE_FOCUS protocol, but I don't seem to have made that connection in my contemporaneous notes, so perhaps it's more complex than that)

Unfortunately, my attempts at fixing this just introduced more problems (see [2],[3] et seq.), and so were reverted.

[1] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00168.html
[2] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00278.html
[3] https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2017-May/232564.html