Greetings, Brian Inglis!

>> We are aware that there are many tutorials and Q&A on the net which deal with
>> exactly this subject. However, none of the proposed solutions worked for us.

The one Q&A should have get you started: since Cygwin 3.1 (IIRC, may be
earlier), the core was changed to use LocalSystem account and some new(-ish)
facilities only available in Windows 7 and up to rebuild auth user token
without using CygLSA or what not.
This affecting SSHD, Cron and any other Cygwin daemon dealing with user
authorization.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin