Thanks for submitting the bug report.

I can now see what may be a duplicate report under:

responding that //c is deliberate so MSYS does not convert a posix path,
so in the Cygwin Mingw build case, the response may be "Don't Do That"!

I just re-installed msys2 and tried a few things, with interesting result.

First, "ls /usr//bin" as well as "ls /usr/////bin" complete successfully under both cygwin and msys2, demonstrating slash compaction.

However, "ls //usr/bin" hangs, as both apparently evaluate the leading // as a server path.

For testing libtool's construct, I tried:

$ cmd //c echo hello
hello

which works, and this, which doesn't:

$ cmd /c echo hello

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.blah]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\msys64\home\myname>

Interestingly,

ls //c

hangs under msys2 (as well as cygwin),

whereas

cmd //c

does not; so it almost seems like msys2 has a hack to recognize that cmd.exe is being invoked ...

However, both of the following also complete successfully under msys2, WITHOUT the double-slash hack:

$ cmd /c "echo hello"
hello

$ cmd "/c" "echo hello"
hello

Both seem preferable to bad syntax.

Of course, there's always the question of why libtool is using cmd.exe instead of /bin/echo, which seems to work just fine ...

$ /bin/echo "hello world"
hello world