On 14/07/2021 21:06, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Philip Goetz <philgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 9:10 AM Jon Turney wrote:

On 13/07/2021 20:30, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
through the category tree selecting packages.
But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
will terminate.

I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
links to older versions on cygwin.com.

You can find older version of setup at https://cygwin.com/setup/

Thank you!  I tried setup-2.905.x86_64.exe and setup-2.907.x86_64.exe,
and neither gave me any problems!

I spoke too soon. I just ran setup-2.907.x86_64.exe again, to install
some more programs, and it did the same thing.
But I spent a long time in 2.905 without it crashing.

Thanks to the reproduction steps, I was able to (finally) develop some useful information about this crash, and that is consistent with where I think the problem was introduced.

I've built setup 2.909 with a putative fix for this.

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

Thanks.