On 2021-08-13 19:54, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 15:20:40 -0700, Mark Geisert wrote:
Jay Abel via Cygwin wrote:
On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 10:27 AM Jay Abel <jay.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, more information.  I'm running Windows 10, 64-bit, AMD.

I've reverted cygutils back to 1.4.16-2 and the problem is resolved.

Run cygstart with anything and no window opens.  I've tried URLS cygstart
http://www.cygwin.com, directories cygstart . and cygstart ./  as well as
pdf files cygstart example.pdf.
None of these seems to do anything anymore.

I have the same setup as you but all seems well here.  With 1.4.16-3 installed
all
four of your testcases work for me.  I don't know what to suggest.
When you have a chance, what does 'echo $?' say at the prompt after cygstart
finishes one of your testcases?  0 means successful, 1 (or something else) means
failure.

I have the same issue with cygstart in cygutils 1.4.16-3.
"cygstart .; echo $?" says 0.
This issue only happens in 64bit cygwin and cygstart in 32bit cygwin works.
To look into this problem, I tried to build cygutils from source,
however, it fails in the link stage of getclip with the error:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/10/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
src/clip/getclip.o: in function `getclip':
/usr/src/debug/cygutils-1.4.16-3/src/clip/getclip.c:431: undefined reference to
`__imp_RtlUnicodeToUTF8N'
It seems that -lntdll flag is required to build it. Doesn't this error
happen in your environment?
So I modified Makefile.am to:
src_clip_getclip_LDADD              = -lpopt -lntdll
src_clip_putclip_LDADD              = -lpopt -lntdll
and tried to build again and succeeded.
The cygstart built locally works fine.
So I tried to debug cygstart using gdb and it says:
Thread 1 received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
The disassembling result at $rip is:
=> 0x0000000100401c15 <+389>:   vmovdqa 0x18c3(%rip),%xmm0        # 0x1004034e0
This is a AVX instruction.
My CPU is Core i7-870, which does not support AVX.
Then I ran cygstart in another machine whose CPU is Core i7-4790
and it works without the issue.
Conclusion:
cygstart in cygutils 1.4.16-3 is compiled with AVX extentions,
therefore it can not run in old machine.

Any chance this could have been built with test gcc 11 using non-standard values instead of defaults -march=x86-64/i686 -mtune=generic?

Could validate by posting /proc/cpuinfo output from non-/working systems using e.g.

$ awk '/^processor\t+: +0$/,/^$/' /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 21
model           : 101
model name      : AMD A10-9700 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G
stepping        : 1
microcode       : 0x6006118
cpu MHz         : 3500.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 22
wp              : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good acc_power nopl tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmuldq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext ptsc mwaitx cpb hw_pstate fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 xsaveopt arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decode_assists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif overflow_recov
bogomips        : 7000.00
TLB size        : 1536 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate cpb eff_freq_ro acc_power

$ awk '/^processor\t+: +0$/,/^$/' /proc/cpuinfo | fgrep avx