Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>> My mail client did that. Here I'll try again:
>>
>> echo foo \
>> bar \
>> baz \
>> qux
>>

>> $ echo foo \
>> baz \
>> qux
>>> bar \
>>> baz \
>>> qux
>> foo bar baz qux
>>

> Cannot reproduce this with mouse-pasting (middle mouse button). It does
> occur occasionally when pasting with Shift+Insert at keyboard repeat
> rate. I guess it's some kind of race condition, the initial part may get
> output earlier than the further parts are echoed. So it would not be a
> terminal issue.

Similar issue can be sometimes observed when you only start terminal and begin
typing before the program (i.e. shell) is ready to accept input.
Some characters will appear before the shell prompt (in example), and repeated
in the prompt like you would expect.

So, this is indeed a race condition between terminal and the program running
in it, but a harmless one.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin