On 10/7/2021 10:16 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
Could this be the following problem that I mentioned in the release
announcement?

Compilation is done asynchronously, with a log in a buffer called
*Async-native-compile-log*.  If you run emacs-w32 and exit while a
compilation is in progress, you might see a dialog box saying that
emacs has aborted and asking if you want to attach a debugger.  Just
say No.  If this annoys you, check the compilation buffer before
exiting, and wait for the "Compilation finished" message.

I'll add one more thing that I didn't know when I wrote that: You can customize
the variable native-comp-async-query-on-exit if you want to be warned that there
are compilations in process when you exit.

Sure, that could be the problem.  I'll try the workaround.

Thanks.  Please report back.

I'm about to announce a new test release that tries to work around the problem in a different way. I'd be interested in hearing how that works too.

I do notice that there are separate compilation directories for emacs
and emacs-w32.  Is this necessary?

Yes. Each build environment for emacs requires its own compiled libraries. Here "build environment" includes source files, system, and configuration options. In this case, the build of emacs-w32 used the configuration option "--with-w32" that wasn't used in the build of emacs-X11.

Thanks very much for testing!

Ken