On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 11:18:25AM -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-11-23 02:50, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:

> > > Thanks, that fixed it.
> >
> > Thanks for testing.
> >
> > > Btw to whoever maintains grep for cygwin: 'make check' should pass on
> > > next release (I patched out the surrogate-pair failre).
>
> I had no problems with test-raise last release.

I don't remember having a problem with it even a few weeks ago.

> I did with surrogate pairs but after spending too much time on all the test
> infrastructure around that, decided it was a low probability event, and wait
> until anyone complains to refer it upstream.

I wasted time on that too. That's why I patched surrogate-pair to not do its 3rd
test if 'uname -s' indicates Cygwin.

For the full story, see https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27555#5

> Do Cygwin and/or Windows support surrogate pairs in UTF-8?

There are 3 tests in surrogate-pair and only the 3rd one failed. So I guess
surrogate pairs in UTF-8 "mostly work".

Cheers ... Duncan.