On 23.12.2021 21:34, Russell VT wrote:
Thanks Marco!

One small question/caveat, though, if I may?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 9:11 AM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce <
cygwin-annou...@cygwin.com> wrote:

[...]

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
In other systems as Debian
/usr/bin/python is discouraged.

As on Cygwin we have still several third packages depending on
python2, the usage of alternatives should allow to manage
until all are updated to python3

Even being a Debian / Mint / Ubuntu fan, there's still an incredible of
stuff that uses "/usr/bin/python," instead of something like "/usr/bin/env
python." It seems "not unreasonable" to continue to support that link, just
to allow people who use Cygwin for development, a little additional sanity
for the time being?

That said, people *should* be transitioning to other tools, such as pyenv
or pipenv, to better manage their environments (or, in the case of later
python 3 versions, the built-in venv mechanism)

Regards
Marco Atzeri

Cheers!
Russell VT

Hi Russell,

 $ alternatives --display python
python - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/python3.9
/usr/bin/python2.7 - priority 27
/usr/bin/python3.6 - priority 36
/usr/bin/python3.7 - priority 37
/usr/bin/python3.8 - priority 38
/usr/bin/python3.9 - priority 39
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/python3.9.

python and python3 are still provided.
I am not planning to remove it.

"until all are updated to python3" means that some packages are
still build with python2 and need rebuild/update for python3

Regards