On 30/12/2021 18:38, Doug Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 09:46, Rainer Emrich
<rainer-li...@emrich-ebersheim.de> wrote:

Hi Jon,
for me the new setup executables do not work, same for both:

In my analysis, setup is reporting for a non-elevated shell:

$ ./setup-x86_64
User has NO backup/restore rights
User has symlink creation right
note: Hand installation over to elevated child process.

for an elevated shell:

$ ./setup-x86_64
Starting cygwin install, version 2.911
User has backup/restore rights
User has symlink creation right
*** --symlink-type native requires SeCreateSymbolicLink privilege or
'Developer Mode'

[...]

I do not have  'Developer Mode' enabled as it is overkill unless necessary.

I suspect that setup-x86_64.exe is not correctly checking for the
"SeCreateSymbolicLink" and/or "Create symbolic links" permission.

Thanks! Yes, there's a few things wrong with how that permission is detected and it's presence reported.

I've uploaded setup 2.912 with an attempted fix.

  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.912.x86_64.exe
  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.912.x86.exe

Please try that, and see if it improves things for you?