On 2022-02-06 22:23, Jay K wrote:
I looked at this a while. I tried various recent cygwin1.dlls as there were two
ACL changes recently.
Eventually. I noticed the behavior was not the same for every
file/directory/volume. Sometimes it worked ok.
Though I think the ACLs still get changed quite a bit: "full" expands to "many".
Of course it has worked plenty for me and everyone else.
Eventually I tried chmod -R 777 * and this seems to have worked.
I speculate that some "bad" Cygwin ACLs got created at some point.
And maybe cacls wasn't deleting them?? That parts seems wierd. Maybe on
directories?
Possibly due to those two recent changes, or maybe user error, I don't know.

I found after a Windows level restore from backup I had to retweak a lot of Cygwin directory DACLs and directory and file perms;
often setfacl -b does the trick if the file perms "+" ACL flag is set;
when that doesn't work I use scripts that set:

Normal:

perms=a+r,u+w,go-w
dacl=u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r-x,d:u::rwx,d:g::r-x,d:o::r-x

Shared/Sticky/Tmp:

perms=a+rwxt
dacl=u::rwx,g::rwx,o::rwx,d:u::rwx,d:g::rwx,d:o::rwx

Change Windows defaults to Cygwin non-exec defaults:

perms=a+r-x,u+w,go-w
dacl=u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r-x,d:u::rwx,d:g::r-x,d:o::r-x

Add u+x or a+x for executable scripts or commands.