From: Cygwin <cygwin-bounces+gajanana.shridhar=biascorp....@cygwin.com> On
Behalf Of Ernie Rael
Sent: 14 February 2022 13:12
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: sshd

[CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER]

On 2/13/22 10:56 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Ernie Rael!

> Open Windows Firewall (cygstart WF.msc), find all your sshd rules and
> trash them. Manually create (or tweak Windows sshd one) a single rule
> for port rather than executable.
> Additionally, to resolve conflicts with stock sshd, create a file
> %ProgramData%\ssh\sshd_config with single line `Port 2022` (for example).

Bingo. Many thanks.

I'd never opened the Windows Firewall before (IIRC), I didn't get the other
references, looking around I ran into some windows defender thing, that said it
had never run before, so I ignored it and figured it wasn't the firewall. I
didn't realize the firewall was so pervasive.

Anyway, I found some sshd rules that referenced "C:/cygwin64/..." and a few
years back I'd reinstalled cygwin on F: to get it off of C:, but the rules were
never updated. So change "C" to "F" in a couple spots and now it connects.

Thanks again,
-ernie

PS Now I can track down why rsync asks for a passwd but ssh doesn't :-)