On 10/8/2022 9:01 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 05/10/2022 06:45, Fergus Daly wrote:
Whenever I use gv on a PostScript file as in
$ gv filename.ps
then a (usually) successful display is (almost invariably) accompanied by Warning messages about font conversions. It is not obvious what limitations or errors are affecting the displayed output, if any, and I have got into the habit
of issuing the command with the qualifier
$ gv filename.ps 2> /dev/null
However: the Warning messages whilst occasionally very esoteric nearly always include the form
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Helvetica-Bold-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-100-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-140-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Is there some additional fonts package or group of packages that I could usefully incorporate into my Cygwin setup that would reduce warnings when using gv? (And maybe improve the rendering of outputs.) My directory /usr/share/fonts/microsoft/ contains 120+ ttf links, though none looking anything like helv*.

Installing 'xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75' and/or 'xorg-x11-fonts-dpi100' will probably resolve these warnings.

It's unclear to me if gv needs a dependency on more font packages or not, since the PS could be using any fonts?

I could go either way on this. On the one hand, gv is a postscript viewer and has no control over what fonts it might be asked to display. On the other hand, gv is intended to be run under X11, so maybe it should require the most basic X11 fonts.

Ken