On 2023-01-22 12:21, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
On Jan 21 11:30, Jeremy Hetzler via Cygwin wrote:
First, thank you for many years of Cygwin.

I'm unable to get Cygwin to mount Windows SMB shares where the share
name begins with underscore. mount gives an error "Invalid argument".

Yes, that's actually a bug.  The mount code path in Cygwin checks
the path for being a share (i.e. \\server\share\... syntax)

The code, which, incidentally, has only been marginally changed since
its inception pre-2000, is expecting that server name as well as share
name both start with an alphanumeric ASCII char.

That means, right now you can't mount servers and shares starting with
any character other than [0-9a-zA-Z].  D'oh.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/naming-conventions-for-computer-domain-site-ou

looks like embedded not initial or final "-" hyphen/minus is also allowed as well as an initial "_" underscore like DNS names.

I pushed a patch and the Cygwin test release 3.5.0-0.138.g6338d2f24a60
is building while I'm replying.  Should be up in an hour or so.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis                 Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                      Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter     not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer        but when there is no more to cut
                        -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry