On 2023-10-23 06:05, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
<< Detail >>

When I used Explorer to visit C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Cygwin-X I was told:
"You don't currently have permission to access this folder"
and clicking on Continue to get access I was told:
"You have been denied permission to access this folder"
There was then offered an option to edit Permissions which I didn't feel like
pursuing.
(I am the Administrator on my own standalone Windows machine. The denial of
access to Cygwin-X feels odd.
PS I also have Cygwin32 installed and running. I _am_ permitted access to the
equivalent folder Cygwin-X (32-bit).)

Please try running the following command/s, under Cygwin 32 and 64, and posting
the outputs:

$ for p in "`cygpath -A -P -U`"{,/Cygwin-X}; do for c in 'lsattr -d' 'ls -dl'
getfacl; do $c "$p"; echo; done; icacls "`cygpath -m "$p"`"; done

Thank you. (Again.)
1. Actually before reading this I had deleted both folders
(successfully, despite not being permitted entry into one
of them) and the re-ran the xinit installation with no
bother at all.
I'm guessing the Permissions glitch resulted from some local
recent accidental keypress or sequence.
2. icacls? Haven't got this though I have got getfacl; found icacl in
"Search packages" under libattica-devel and ng-spice-debuginfo?

        $ /proc/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/icacls /?

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry