On 11/22/2023 4:38 PM, Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:
On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 11:15 AM, Eliot Moss expressed:

On 11/22/2023 10:43 AM, Bill Stewart via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 7:53 AM Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:
[clip]
>> desktop. No Cygwin nor Cygwin-X folders were created on the Start menu. The
>> original cygwin from the Win10 PC had X installed also.
>>

> I don't think "Install from Local Directory" means "reproduce same cygwin
> installation on a separate computer".

In fact, it means to install using the package files in some local directory,
i.e., "assume the packages are already downloaded".

It would be reasonable to copy over downloaded packages.

I believe there are commands / techniques that would then make it fairly
easy to install that specific set of packages "from scratch" (but from
the local copy of the packages).  Copying *installed* file hierarchies
is trickier because of permission / ownership concerns.

Thanks, Eliot. Hmmm... I would have thought that by now this process would have
been thought of.

Not saying it hasn't, but since I don't have a ready answer to your
question I was leaving that to other, more knowledgeable, folks to
jump in and ill the gap :-) ...

EM