On 12/17/2023 8:45 AM, Karl Crary wrote:
Thank you, but I guess I posted a bad example then.

latex --version

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (MiKTeX 23.10.12) (preloaded
fomat=latex.fmt)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
**

It should print version information, but instead that is what I would expect to see if I ran latex with no arguments. The same thing happens if I call latex with a filename.  Or, to fix my previous example:

$ cmd '/?'
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.2861]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\crary>

If it's helpful, here's my /etc/fstab:

none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,noacl,posix=0,user 0 0
d:/ /cygdrive/d ntfs binary,posix=0,user,auto,notexec 0 0
c:/Users/moss/OneDrive /cygdrive/o ntfs binary,noacl,posix=0,user 0 0

The first line allows me to write things like /cygdrive/c and so forth, for any
mounted drive letter.  Note that there is no need to mention c; explicitly if
the default mount options are ok for you.

The second allows me to indicate the mount details I want for my D drive.

The last allows me to refer to my OneDrive via /cygdrive/o.

I also have some links in my cygwin / folder:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 moss Eliot Moss     11 Aug 26  2022 c -> /cygdrive/c
lrwxrwxrwx   1 moss Eliot Moss     11 Aug 26  2022 d -> /cygdrive/d
lrwxrwxrwx   1 moss Eliot Moss     11 Oct  6 12:53 o -> /cygdrive/o

These allow me to write /c/ instead of the longer /cygdrive/c/, etc.

This arrangement works well for me and I do not see the behavior you've
been describing.  Of course you may prefer different mount options, though
some of them seem relevant, as others have pointed out.

HTH ... EM