On 2023-12-19 06:26, Michael Soegtrop via Cygwin wrote:
my daily CI of Coq Platform indicates that this update:
libassuan0-2.5.5-1   -> libassuan0-2.5.6-1
libgpg-error0-1.47-1 -> libgpg-error0-1.37-1

  libgpg-error0-1.37-1 -> libgpg-error0-1.47-1

breaks Opam, the OCaml package manager, via a failed call to curl as can be seen by executing these commands: $ wget https://github.com/fdopen/opam-repository-mingw/releases/download/0.0.0.2/opam64.tar.xz -O "opam64.tar.xz"
$ tar -xf "opam64.tar.xz"
$ bash opam64/install.sh --prefix "/usr/$(uname -m)-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw"
$ opam init --bare --shell-setup --enable-shell-hook --enable-completion 'default' 'https://opam.ocaml.org' --disable-sandboxing Replacing the DLLs of libassuan0 and libgpg-error0 with the previous versions listed above (just replace the DLLs) fixes this. I had a look at what happens with Procmon. In the end a call to cygwn curl (from a MinGW app) fails. In Procmon I can see that curl successfully downloads the file and crashes immediately after closing the output file. With the old versions of libassuan0 and libgpg-error0, curl succeeds. That this download as such is successful shows that this is not a temporary network hickup (I also tested it at least 10 times either way). Usual usages of curl seem to work - I couldn't reduce the failure reproduction beyond the above 4 lines and couldn't figure out what is so special about the curl call of opam. This is quite painful for me - I was in the middle of a release of Coq Platform (a widely used distribution of the Coq proof assistant), when my Windows CI (which does a cygwin based MinGW cross compilation of OCaml and Coq) failed. Especially painful is that there is no easy way to install older package versions from the command line.

I would appreciate a fast roll back. Otherwise I have to find a way to install the older versions without user interaction.

I don't build curl, gsasl, or libgcrypt with libassuan, which is used by gnupg2 internally between components for IPC.

Deps are:

        opam -> curl -> libcurl4 -> libgsasl18 -> libgcrypt20 -> libgpg-error0

I have not yet upgraded libgpg-error and rebuilt libgcrypt, gsasl, or curl, do not use OCaML or Opam, or have them installed.

Btw.: I do a daily build test of Coq Platform with a fresh cygwin since about 6 years and this is only the fourth failure! I really appreciate the stability of cygwin - excellent work!

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry