Thanks for the replies Brian & Corinna, I learned a lot.

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 1:48 AM Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cyg...@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Users in the Administrators group have these privileges in their user
> token.  Under UAC, both privileges are removed from the token.  In an
> elevated shell, though, both privileges are present.
>
> The funny thing here is this: While both privileges are present in the
> token, they are disabled by default.
>
> They have to be enabled explicitely before you can exercise the
> privileges.  Usually you do this in the same application
> programatically.

Now I see...
Local administrator Bob reports his User Access Token info
(with Windows whoami, not cygwin whoami)
    C:\>whoami /priv

    PRIVILEGES INFORMATION

    Privilege Name                            ... State
      SeBackupPrivilege                         ... Disabled
      SeRestorePrivilege                        ... Disabled

      C:\>

Thanks very much.
John Ruckstuhl