On Mar  6 18:19, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mar  6 06:54, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:

> > > Oh, btw., this is from
> > > https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-fscc/c8e77b37-3909-4fe6-a4ea-2b9d423b1ee4:
> > >
> > >    IO_REPARSE_TAG_FILE_PLACEHOLDER
> > >    0x80000015
> > >
> > >      Obsolete.
> > >      ---------
> > >      Used by Windows Shell for legacy placeholder files in Windows 8.1.
> > >      Server-side interpretation only, not meaningful over the wire.
> > >
> > > So even if we support them, what is their replacement in W10 and later?
> >
> > May or not help:
> >
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59152220/cant-get-reparse-point-information-for-the-onedrive-folder
>
> We can add an explicit call to
>
>   RtlSetProcessPlaceholderCompatibilityMode (PHCM_EXPOSE_PLACEHOLDERS);
>
> and we can recognize the IO_REPARSE_TAG_FILE_PLACEHOLDER and
> IO_REPARSE_TAG_CLOUD_* tags during symlink evaluation, but even then
> we still have to know what the reparse point buffer actually contains.
>
> Given that the content of reparse points with these reparse tags are
> undocumented, some people using cloud services should examine these
> reparse points so we can add some suitable code to Cygwin.

Reading further on this it seems that one cannot easily compare these
reparse points with symlinks.

The tag values are 0x80000015 for IO_REPARSE_TAG_FILE_PLACEHOLDER and
0x9000001AL up to 0x9000F01AL for the IO_REPARSE_TAG_CLOUD_* tags.  None
of them have the name surrogate bit set, so they don't "represent
another named entity in the system".  In other words, these reparse
points represent themselves rather than pointing to some other file, as
symlinks do.

Additionally the IO_REPARSE_TAG_CLOUD_* tags all have the directory bit
set so it seems they are used on the parent(?) directory of the local
OneDrive copy only, but not on the files inside it.

Bottom line:

I wonder if the real deal is not the reparse tag and the reparse
content, but whether or not the file has the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE flag
set.

If so, we can try to disable any action within path conversion, as
well as in our stat(2) and readdir(3) implementation which would
trigger onlining an offline file.

Can anybody confirm that the idea is right, or if I'm something missing?

Corinna