On Mar 19 08:55, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 15:43, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin
> <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 18 08:30, J. Terry Corbet via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Thank you for the greatly needed assistance, but the reference to which
> > > you
> > > have pointed me says that noacl will be ignored in the case of ntfs file
> > > systems.
> >
> > No, it doesn't say that.  It says
> >
> >   "The flag is ignored on NFS filesystems."
> >                           ^^^
> >                         not NTFS
>
> Do ACLs work for NFS in Cygwin, or are they turned off for NFS?

NFS uses the unofficial fattr3 interface to fetch real stat(2) info from
the remote FS, see
https://cygwin.com/cgit/newlib-cygwin/tree/winsup/cygwin/local_includes/nfs.h
https://cygwin.com/cgit/newlib-cygwin/tree/winsup/cygwin/nfs.cc#n19

> I'm also asking because the ms-nfs41-client Windows NFSv4.1 driver now
> has ACL support (like the Exceed NFSv4 driver), but it would be
> frustrating if Cygwin just turns this off.

Cygwin "doesn't turn them off".  Cygwin recognizes the filesystem as
being an NFS filesystem and uses special non-Windowsy access methods
provided by the MS_NFS client.

If you want ACL support for the NFSv4 client, I made a couple of
suggestions how to integrate stuff in Cygwin in November:
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-developers/2023-November/012692.html

Corinna