Am 12.04.2024 um 11:18 schrieb Lee via Cygwin:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 4:05 AM J M  wrote:
Some examples that I view that can do Cygwin better by default:

tput colors
8

echo $TERM
xterm
I made my mintty changes by point & click experimentation - if you
want to make system-wide changes the place to do that is in
/etc/minttyrc
   https://github.com/mintty/mintty/wiki/Tips
   Configuring mintty
   For its configuration, it reads configuration files in this order:
       /etc/minttyrc
       ... etc.

$ grep -i term .minttyrc
Term=xterm-256color

$ tput colors
256

$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color
Note that mintty always supports all modes, including 256 colours and
true-color (TERM=xterm-direct), regardless of the TERM setting or the
$TERM environment value. That value is only used by some applications
(like tput and apparently vim) as an indication which features to use.
Thomas

And if use vim, comparing with one Ubuntu terminal:

I need to set "set mouse-=a" because the copy paste is difficult.
The colors are very bright.
The cursor does not look good when doing a search and moves over the yellow
background text.

What settings would I need to make it look like Ubuntu's vim?
I'd suggest doing a 'man vim' to find out where all the possible
configuration files are & then copy them to your cygwin machine.

Regards,
Lee