On Mon, 24 Jun 2024, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Dr Bean!

> >> I spoke too soon. Microsoft Edge doesn't appear to lack NLS support when
> >> started from a mintty window either with cygstart or the /cygdrive path.
>
> > I installed Google Chrome, and Japanese and Korean
> > keyboard entry appear to be supported by both IME when it is started
> > from a mintty window with cygstart or directly with the cygdrive
> > path.
>
> If I'm allowed to hazard a guess, check if any of the environment variables
> set by Cygwin affecting your browser.
> My first suspicion would be LANG and LOCALE ones.

The environment variable involved appears to be QT_IM_MODULE
(qutebrowser is a Qt app). Disabling it in the qutebrowser config
file lets you input text in CJK scripts, when you open web pages with
'cygstart'.

--
Greg "Dr Bean" Matheson         Whereof we cannot speak, we must remain silent.
http://drbean.sdf.org           --Ludwig Wittgenstein