On 2024-07-30 18:58, Eric J Korpela via Cygwin wrote:
Following an update of the packages I have installed, multiple programs are
failing silently when executed from the shell, especially "man" and "wget".

If I run them under strace, I get a pop-up window stating "The procedure
entry mbrtoc32 could not be located in the dynamic link library ..."  For
man the library is "cygman-2-12-1.dll".  For wget the library is "wget.exe".

I assume this means that something didn't update properly and that
reinstalling one package would solve, but I don't see any indication in the
logs of a failure.  I'd rather not reinstall everything to fix the problem,
if possible.

Any thoughts on how where I should look?

Upgrade to at least Cygwin 3.5.0 - current stable is 3.5.3 - you are on 3.4.10 API minor 345 - Corinna added uchar.h with those C 2011 and 2023 Unicode character functions in strfuncs.cc last August in API minor 347 and 348 released in Cygwin 3.5.0 this February - see announcement in:

        https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2024-February/011524.html

https://inbox.sourceware.org/cygwin-announce/20240201122118.380093-1-corinna-cyg...@cygwin.com/

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry