On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:27:36 -0400 (EDT), Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
>
>>> Is it true that any application I compile under cygwin's
>>> gcc/g++ is
>>> automatically under the GPL? Is so I've been doing some
>>> violating...
>>> sorry.
>>
>> This will link your binary to the cygwin DLL by default.  Unless
>> you have
>> purchased a buy out contract from Red Hat, yes.
>
> There are some exceptions, IIRC.  For more information, see
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_8.html#SEC136> or consult a lawyer.
> Igor

I'm treading on very thin ice here with respect to being OT but I beg your indulgence.
From the link above:

"To cover the GNU GPL requirements, the basic rule is if you give out any binaries,
you must also make the source available. "

Which means if I use GNU GPL software to make a commercial product (selling and
distribution implied), the product must be GPL, source exposed, etc.

BUT, if I use GPL in a bank to create software used by bank customers or in back
overnight process, since I'm NOT selling the software, I don't have to expose squat.
Yes? If so, then the GPL-is-viral argument goes by the wayside for all non-software
development companies.

Is that a reasonable interpretation?

--
Matthew O. Persico