I'm surprised that this problem seems so intractable.
While careful debugging and analysis ought to get to
the root of the problem eventually, there is clearly
some difficulty in getting a suitable debug session
without upsetting what is being examined.  [Heisenberg
at work.]  So alternate approaches could be worthwhile.

We seem to be looking for a subtle difference in the environment
between a hanging postinstall script (which happens on some
systems only, and also only when setup is executed from an
explorer window) and a working one.  Is it possible cygcheck
might show such a difference, or is there another utility
which could show system info (such as some of the current
internal state of the cygwin shared memory)?  Running
cygcheck -vs (and/or some other such utility) from
a hanging and non-hanging postinstall shell might come
up with something.

-- Cliff