Hi Larry,

Since you were the only person who was kind enough to take the time to respond
to my initial question, I owe it to you to provide a followup on this subject.

I wrote a few DOS batch files as well as shell scripts to try and troubleshoot the
problem. I managed to track down the problem to the Pro/E executable pro_batch_t.exe.
Depending on whether the "-text" option is provided to pro_batch.bat, it will either
run the UI executable or the command-line executable pro_batch_t.exe.

The problem seems to come from pro_batch_t.exe. This program apparently
wants to run in the background and therefore it doesn't matter whether you
invoke it from a DOS batch file or a Cygwin shell script, the batch file/script will
continue to run before pro_batch_t.exe terminates. The version of Pro/E in
question is Release 20.

To solve my problem, I added two loops to my scripts, one to check for the
presence of the log file pro_batch.log.1 every 5 seconds and upon detecting
it checks every 5 seconds for the keyword "Result" which is the last line of
pro_batch.log.1 when pro_batch_t.exe is completed. It seems to do the job.

Andy

At 23:46 12/09/04 -0500, you wrote:
At 11:22 PM 12/9/2004, you wrote:
>I guess I should have been more specific with my original posting...
>
>I was running pro_batch in command-line mode (pro_batch -text ...) and not
>interactive mode, i.e. not using the GUI at all. I thought it was implied since
>I was talking about running a shell script and a batch file. The shell script
>actually constructs the command-line and input file automatically and then
>kicks off the DOS batch file. The script is supposed to monitor to contents
>of the file pro_batch.log.1 afterwards but it started to parse the file contents
>even before the DOS batch file is completed. If I forced a long wait by adding
>a "sleep 300" after the DOS batch file command, parsing was done properly.
>However, I cannot set a fix wait time as it depends on the complexity of the
>Pro/E assembly.
>
>You are correct in that the pro_batch interactive mode does work.

Well, I guess I need a simple example then. So far, everything I've tried works fine.

Holliston, MA 01746