At 03:42 AM 4/7/2005, you wrote:
>Sorry, I've searched the lists quite a bit as well as the documenation and
>other online sources that I could find. I couldn't find anything that was both
>similar to my problem and had a solution that I could understand. I've been
>trying to add domain users to Cygwin from our main domain server. It has
>Windows 2003 Server installed. The first account that it made automatically,
>adminstrator, seems to work perfectly. After that, however, none of the
>accounts work. I think I'm using the correct commands...
>mkgroup -d > /etc/group
>mkpasswd -d "domain name" -u "user name" >> /etc/passwd

That's fine.

>The entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group look very similar to the entries for
>the administrator account that works just fine, however, a home directory
>isn't made and login always fails for the other accounts.
>I tried adding a -p /home to the command, but it still didn't make a directory
>for the user.

mkpasswd/mkgroup don't create the user's home directory.  /etc/profile is
responsible for that, assuming the directory does not already exist.

>If it is a permissions problem then this info might help. I'm logging into the
>main domain server to add the users in Cygwin. I'm logging into the
>"administrator" account on that computer(same account as the Cygwin account
>that actually works). The regular "domain users" group that contains all of
>the users I'm trying to add doesn't have the permission to log on locally to
>the computer I'm doing this from (thought that might be an issue, but I'm not
>sure). The "domain users" group doesn't have write priveledges to the
>C:\cygwin\ folder (does that mean I'd have to change their path to somewhere
>they DO have priveledges?).

Sure.  That's going to be a problem.  If the user trying to start
'cygwin.bat' on that machine doesn't have permission to write to what
'/etc/passwd' says is it's home directory, there's going to be trouble.
Change this and things should work better for you.

Holliston, MA 01746