At 05:54 AM 4/14/2005, you wrote:
>Yes, I did notice the strange character in the cygcheck drive listing output.
>Is the information from GetVolumeInformation used by cygwin to determine how
>to treat the volume?  (Ie is it possible that the nonsense output is the root
>of the problem?)

Not specifically no but I think it indicates that the information that's
being passed along by the VPC shared folder code is not doing all it should.
Or maybe it's just a failing on the Mac side.  Dunno.

>I've had a little look in the microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc Usenet group and
>have seen a few reports of other people having problems with the shared folder
>facility with various Windows programs (MS Project 2003 Pro and MS Money).
>Very little detail is given though and the problems appear to remain unsolved.

OK, that would substantiate my assertion, at least to some degree.

>I did try sharing the Mac files to cygwin in VPC using the Samba server
>included in Mac OS X and this did actually work, after I figured out multiple
>problems:
>
>1) VPC needs to be run in "Virtual Switch" networking mode, so the Mac and PC
>have different IP addresses and can see each other.  I don't know (although
>I'd like to!) whether an active Ethernet connection is required for VPC and
>the Mac to talk and if the traffic actually goes out onto physical Ethernet.

If you have one, then yes.  If not, usually a simple loopback will
suffice.  Either way, it's all pretty transparent (or is with VMWare).

>2) The '\' character used in Windows share names is an escape character to
>bash -- so the example "mount \\pollux\home\joe\data /data" in the cygwin
>manual (example 3.10) is misleading.  For me, that style of example gives
>error messages about "/data", not the Windows share (actually the cause of the
>problem), which doesn't help.  I do see the mentions in manual around that
>point about using the Windows command shell (presumably with the cygwin bin in
>the PATH?) and also about using '/' rather than '\', but it doesn't seem very
>clear to me -- perhaps the example could be changed to "mount
>'\\pollux\home\joe\data' /data"?

Others have covered this already so I won't repeat what's been said
already.

>3) I did manage to mount the share by enclosing the share name in single
>quotes as above, but then access to the mount point with ls, cd etc failed
>with "invalid request code" - sigh.  Finally I gave up on cygwin "mount" and
>instead mounted the share as F: using right-click and "map drive" in Windows.
>It was then accessible to cygwin under /cygdrive/f.

I don't know what the "invalid request code" means or where it came from
but given what you described, that should have worked.  Perhaps there's
something incorrectly configured on your server.

>File and directory meta data was all correct in Windows Explorer.  In cygwin,
>file meta data was OK, but directories were all dated 1 Jan 1970 and had a
>very large size listed in "ls -l".  This was good enough for compilation
>though.

Interesting.  So this seems to indicate that the problem is closer to the
Mac than VPC.  Could be.  I just tried the same thing going directly from
my PC (not virtual) to Linux and I see no problem.

>Because of these issues, my preferred solution would be to use Shared Folders
>-- if it worked, it'd be a lot simpler than Samba -- no separate server and
>configuration to worry about.  I might try following up the issue with MS VPC
>support in the newsgroup and then possibly through their email or phone
>support (although it seems I might have to give them a credit card number
>first! :<).

Could be. ;-)

>I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above Samba issues though.
>
>Also -- if there aren't any VPC-on-Mac users on this list, are there any
>VPC-on-PC users?  Would VPC-on-PC have related issues, or is this problem just
>due to the VM additions implementation of access to the Mac file system?

Dunno.  I'm sure if anyone here knows, they'll chime in.

Holliston, MA 01746