At 02:21 PM 7/22/2005, you wrote:
>My opinion of this matter:
>
>Hidden should not imply read-only...  There are read-only and system
>attributes which can perform this feat.
>
>Why in the world Microsoft decided hidden should be read-only in some of the
>time (dos edit -- for those of us who've had to use it when necessary) is
>beyond me.
>
>If a file is hidden, it insinuates that an average user should not need access
>to the file.  By hiding it, under normal circumstances that circut is
>complete, one cannot edit what one cannot find.
>
>IMO the read-only flag should be the only one that implies read-only.  I
>conceed that there is logic to the system flag also impliing read-only.
>I don't see much logic in hidden implying read-only.  That implies confusion
>to a simple state of being.
>
>WordPad hidden-file save = access denied
>NotePad hidden-file save = file saved
>
>There is no logic in that...

I think it's fair to say that further discussion along the lines of whether
Windows is smart or stupid to implement the hidden file semantics as it
does is off-topic for this list.  Any further comments along these lines
should be taken to the cygwin-talk list (if they could conceivably be
linked to Cygwin in some way) or a Windows forum.

Holliston, MA 01746