>       Jim Dixon[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Trei, Peter wrote:
>
> > I was living in Britain (and of an allowance-recieving age) when
> > decimalization
> > occured. While we lost the big penny, we gained the 50p piece. In those
> > days,
> > it was a large, heavy, seven-sided coin, bigger than a US half-dollar,
> and
> > worth
> > $1.20. It felt good in your pocket. Since then, the Brits have shrunk it
> > much smaller size. Do they still call the 1 pound coins 'maggies'?
>
> I have been living in the UK for 17 years and have never heard this term.
>
> Younger people aren't sure who Maggie is anyway ;-)
>
> (15-year old daughter sitting next to me:
>
>       "Who's Maggie?"
>
> and then
>
>       "Why would a pound be called Margaret Thatcher?"

This dates back to the time when they were first introduced, and
is clearly out of date:

It was called a Maggie because it was thick, brassy, and thought it
to be sovereign.

[For the non-brits: A 'sovereign' is a rarely seen gold coin, about the
same size as the pound coin (but worth a lot more - it's got nearly
a 1/4 ounce of gold). It also plays off of Margaret Thatcher's
autocratic tendencies. 'Brassy' is slang for, roughly,
"outspoken/irreverent", and 'thick' means stupid.]

Peter Trei